Category Archives: Development

Demo

Here’s a demo of synSinger with the old standard Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star: This version uses sampled consonants. The are a number of problems with this, but it does show off the clarity of the new spectral synthesis rendering engine. … Continue reading

Posted in Development | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Synthesizing Frication

synSinger has been using sampled phonemes for voiced and unvoiced fricatives such as /V/ and /SH/. This works well, but I’ve been looking into synthesizing the consonants so they are better integrated into the rendering framework. Frication noise is made … Continue reading

Posted in Development | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment

Identifying Formants

Praat generally does an excellent job of identifying formants, in contrast to my own feeble attempts. Nevertheless, I continue to get sidetracked on the task of correctly identifying formants. My current method is fairly simple: I identify all the peaks … Continue reading

Posted in Development | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Interpolating Peaks

I’ve added some simple logic that checks to see if a peak can be interpolated by looking at the intersection of the slopes between points. Here’s an example of it in action: The results look very good – peaks move … Continue reading

Posted in Development | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

New Rendering Logic

The core of the new rendering engine is an inverse DFT (Discrete Fourier Transform). Each voiced phoneme target is described as a piecemeal spectral envelope, which when given a frequency, returns the amplitude and phase of that frequency. Rendering is … Continue reading

Posted in Development | Tagged , , , , , | Leave a comment

Progress

Those baffling “clicks” returned. It appeared that the cause was an error in the interpolation, but I couldn’t find any issue. So I dug deeper, and finally foundĀ  the issue in the spectral envelope code, where the upper and lower … Continue reading

Posted in Development | Tagged , | Leave a comment

Grinding Away

I’ve been working the last couple of days rebuilding the synthesis engine around spectral morphing. It’s still too early to tell how well this will turn out. I’ve done plenty of experiments that held a lot of promise, only to … Continue reading

Posted in Development | Tagged , , , | Leave a comment